ABC Texas Gulf Coast Board Members recently attended the 2017 Legislative Day Conference in Austin to address this years’ construction industry priority issues, including:
· Neutrality in State Government Contracting -protecting merit shop contractors by preventing governmental entities from requiring the use of project labor agreements
· Lien Law Modernization - developing a simplified approach that can be embraced by most, if not all, stakeholders
· Public Employees Dues Deduction - preventing public entities from deducting dues for labor unions and employee associations, resulting in subsidization of those organizations using public money
· E-Verify (Safe Harbor) - If any mandatory E-Verify bill is passed, ensure there will be language to assure the employer will not be penalized if the employer is a victim of fraud and is protected from a discrimination lawsuit
· License for Journeyman Industrial Electrician - proposing a new licensing category to recognize NCCER Industrial Electrician credentials as part of the requirements for this license.
This is just one of the many ways that ABC works on behalf of its membership to improve the local business environment.